Tuesday, August 15, 2023

Goin' To Memphis

 

DUKES FANS:  

“Long distance operator, give me Memphis, Tennessee...’ 

Chuck Berry 

THE PERSEIDS AND THE IBC:  

Saturday and Sunday nights were the peak times for the Perseid meteor showers. The viewing conditions were not ideal in our area, but I hope you could get away from city lights and find some darkness so you could catch some of the showers. If you did, I hope it was a joyous experience for you. And if not, remember that there is always next year: they are an annual event. And you can count on me to remind you about them next year. (smile) 

I had the Dukes gig at The Mermaid on Friday and two gigs with Johnny Never Saturday night and Sunday afternoon. I was exhausted Saturday night and just went to sleep, but I got home after our Sunday afternoon gig and did get to see some meteors around 9:30 PM before I had to crash. I wanted to see more, but I had to get some sleep after three gigs in three days; I am not as young as I used to be, and I need more rest (smile) 

The Sunday afternoon gig at The Central Delaware Blues Society IBC challenge was wonderful. The society is a great group of people, and I met and re-met several people from my earlier playing career when the Dukes played in Delaware on a more regular basis. Johnny and I were in competition with a great acoustic guitarist and singer named Diamond Jim Greene. He played a wonderful set, and he did one of my favorite Skip James songs and a Tampa Red Song. I loved listening to him. It was tough for the judges, but Johnny and I were declared the winners of the 2023 Central Delaware Blues Society IBC contest! That means we will be going down to Memphis to compete in the IBC Finals in January of 2024. We are obviously overjoyed, and we are beginning to make plans for getting to and staying in Memphis. There will be news soon of some fundraising events to help make that trip possible. Thanks to both Diamond Jim and the Central Blues Society folks for a spirited and exciting time in the wilds of Dover, DE. Here is a link to Diamond Jim Greene’s website; he is a fine performer and a hell of a nice guy. We were happy to meet him and hopefully we will run across each other again. 

 




No comments:

Post a Comment